Wednesday, February 29, 2012

You Don't Make Your Own Crackers?

I don't know what goes in my mind that causes me to fixate on certain recipes. Most recently, I became all consumed with the idea of making Cheese-Its. Don't get me wrong; I love the store bought bite-size snacks but they lack aggressiveness when it comes to spice. I've tried the Tabasco and Pepper Jack and both are weeeeak sauce. Hence, the Hot Habenero Homemade Cheese-It is born.

While researching how to make homemade crackers, I stumbled upon a TON of cynics. See below.

"What kind of loser would make crackers?"

"Someone who makes crackers at home doesn't value their own time and needs a social life."

To that, I kindly say up yours. So let's make some crackers.



Habanero Homemade Cheese-Its
8oz of Habanero Cheese, shredded
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 tbs. of chilled, diced butter
Smoked paprika
Chilled water


**Disclaimer: Cabot Hot Habanero cheese is MEGA spicy. Use any cheese of your liking. 
Steps for Making Cracker Gold
Combine flour, butter, and cheese in a food processor. Slowly add chilled water until a firm, dough-like mixture is formed. Roll out between two sheets of wax paper until 1/8 inch thickness is achieved.


Freeze for 10 minutes. Use a pizza cutter to cut into squares. If you're feeling extra fancy, poke the center with a chop stick to get that original cheese-it look.


Bake at 425 for 8-12 minutes. Watch carefully because these quickly go from perfect to burnt. Sprinkle the finished product with smoked paprika - so de-lish!


These are the best crackers I've ever had, but have to admit that they are too spicy for the average person. Conor fed three to his grandma, and I thought she might have a stroke. Next time, I will be making these with smoked gouda!

Be productive; do good things!

-J



No comments:

Post a Comment