Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Accidental Skinny Rice

Thing I Do During My 2-Hour Commute to Work
  • look at yummies on Foodgawker
  • day dream about what I'm going to make for dinner
  • feel depressed that I didn't eat more oatmeal before leaving the house
  • smile and think about my amazing students
  • tweet. tweet. tweet some more. 
  • snooze. snore. slobber. wake up at south station slightly disoriented. 
Today was more excruciating than most days because I had an AWESOME dinner planned. Let's get down to the good stuff. 

Creamy Linguica Stuffed Mushrooms
Large Portobello Mushrooms
Portugese Linguica Sausage
Onions
Gahlic (I live in New England now)
Carrots
Smidgen of fat free cream cheese
Splash of coconut milk (or skim if you like)
Scallions
Smoked paprika
S & P

Step 1
Prepare portobello mushrooms. I pop out the center stem, dice it, and it to the veggie mix. I also scoop out the gills (the flaky, dark underneath jank of the 'shroom). You can leave it; I just don't care for the flavor or dark runny water it produces in the baking process.

Step 2
Saute Portugese sausage until browned (NOT caramelized - proteins don't caramelize...they BROWN). Add in diced onions, carrots, garlic. Caramelize. Add cream cheese (about 4 oz.) and splash of milk. Add S & P. I also add smoked paprika because it's bomb. Milk thoroughly and scoop into mushrooms. Bake for 30 minutes-ish at 400. Garnish with scallions. 

**Half way through the baking process I had to remove extra water from the baking pan so that the mushrooms wouldn't get soggy. 


Skinny Green Goddess Rice
Heaping handful of cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
S & P
Splash of quality olive oil
Palm full of walnuts
Brown rice

Cook rice according to package. 

Add cilantro, lemon juice, S & P, oil, and walnuts to a food processor until the ingredients are mixed but can still be identified. Toss with rice. Top with extra cilantro and scallions. Serve. 

I usually add avocado to this but mine had gone bad. For an extra decadent rice side, add avocado.

For anyone that knows me at all, I'm a cat lady. Not a crazy lady. I've stopped at one so keep reading and stop judging. Now that I live in New English with my booooyfriend, I've been forced to become a dog person - against my better judgement. Depsite Owen's excessive slobber, never-ending whining, and annoying tendency to jump on me when I get home, he did look cute sitting beside the table tonight waiting for scraps. Go Sox?



As always, be productive; do good things!

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment