Wednesday, January 25, 2012

And Figs For All

I'm Jennifer. I'm the other half of this food blog. Sarah is my other half when it comes to food.

We both love food. cooking. and eating. and sharing our food pictures. and then talking about our food. and then talking some more.

Sarah loves peanut butter. I hate it.




Tonight, it seemed fitting that I celebrate the end of National Peanut Butter Day by making Macadamia Nut Butter. Yuuuuumm. Before I get into what I made for dinner tonight, I think it's important to know that I'm also a teacher. I enjoy inappropriate vocabulary confusions. See text message.




I adore oatmeal. Like, really, really, really love oatmeal in every way possible. Two years ago, I became a very lucky lady when I started dating my amazing boyfriend, Conor. The best part? His family owns a house in the Grand Caymans. Score! As I count down the days until my tropical vacation, I'm starting to crave island food. To my American palate, this means coconut, pineapple, and macadamia nuts.


With this, Tropical Oatmeal is born. 


Macadamia Nut Butter Recipe


Step 1:
Toast 1 cup of macadamia nuts for a few minutes in a 400 degree oven






Step 2:


Add toasted macadamia nuts and 1 tsp. vanilla to food processor.








Blend in food processor until creamy. Enjoy. 




Now for the oatmeal.

Tropical Oatmeal Recipe

1 cup steel cut oats

4 cups coconut milk

1/2 cup crushed pineapple

1tbs vanilla (I really love vanilla)

Combine all ingredients and cook for 25 minutes-ish or until desired "doneness" is achieved. 

Toppings

Real maple syrup
Macadamia Nut Butter
Fig Butter (from Trader Joe's - delish!)
Coconut

Voila!!


I had a TON of oatmeal leftover, but I've found that it keeps well for a few days. Now, I have steel cut oats that are ready to eat first thing in the morning. 

And just like I tell my students everyday - be productive, and do good things!

-J












No comments:

Post a Comment